Ng Mui Buddhist Nun

Craft Training for College Credit FAQ

What is Craft Training for College Credit?

Craft Training for College Credit (CTCC) provides a mechanism to earn college credit for NCCER standardized craft training.

[ Page Top ]


What can college credits do for students?

If a student should want to earn a college degree, now or in the future, Pima Community College (PCC) credits may be applied toward related degree programs. Refer to AAS Degree to see the Associate of Applied Science degree available at PCC.

[ Page Top ]


Who issues the college credits?

Pima Community College awards college credit to students of NCCER's accredited sponsors who successfully complete NCCER standardized craft training modules and the Pima-approved challenge exam for those modules.

[ Page Top ]


What is a challenge exam?

A challenge exam is the test which students must pass in order to qualify for college credit through the CTCC program. The challenge exam for a particular NCCER module is the end-of-module written exam associated with that module.

Note: Only the examination from a currently recognized NCCER curricula will be accepted as a challenge exam. Tests generated from Pearson's test scrambling software, or tests from old NCCER modules which are no longer recognized, will not be accepted as challenge exams.

[ Page Top ]


Are these "real" College credits?

Pima Community College credit earned through the CTCC program is just like credit earned at any other accredited institution of higher education.

[ Page Top ]


Will Pima Community College credit earned through the CTCC program transfer to another college or university?

Every college and university has its own rules about accepting transfer credit from another institution. Students should contact the institution early in their coursework to ensure transfer of PCC's college credits. In order to assist the students, PCC and that institution may need to exchange course equivalency information.

[ Page Top ]


Can college credits previously earned from another college be applied toward the CTCC program?

Possibly. Send an official transcriptfrom the college to Pima Community College. A PCC advisor will evaluate the transcript and determine what credits, if any, can be applied toward the CTCC program. Decisions are made on a case-by-case basis depending on the specific courses taken in the past and the program which the student wishes to enter. If PCC does not have the course information for that college on file for cross referencing, the college may be asked to submit the course information to verify course equivalency.

Note: The student must be registered as a student through PCC's registration process before a transcript review can be completed and before those credits can be accepted towards a PCC degree. Call 520.206.7134 for further information about transferring courses to PCC.

[ Page Top ]


When does an NCCER trainee become registered as a student in Pima Community College's system?

After the application forms and fees have been submitted to NCCER, the trainee has successfully completed a module exam, and his/her training information has been entered into NCCER's National Registry, Pima will review and enter the trainee's information. Then the trainee will appear as a student in the PCC system.

[ Page Top ]


How much does Pima Community College charge to transfer credit earned at another college toward a Pima AAS degree?

There is no charge for a transcript review completed by PCC. However, some colleges may charge students a fee to provide transcripts to Pima.

[ Page Top ]


How can students enroll in the Craft Training for College Credit Program?

Complete the CTCC registration and application forms with fee for total credit hours and submit them to NCCER. NCCER will forward the registration information to Pima Community College when the training is recorded in the National Registry.

[ Page Top ]


Must students be entered in the NCCER National Registry to earn college credit through this program?

Yes. Pima Community College credit can only be obtained through entry into the NCCER National Registry.

[ Page Top ]


Do students need a high school diploma or a GED to participate in this program?

A high school diploma or GED certificate is not essential to enroll in a PCC credit course. However, it is recommended for future career growth.

[ Page Top ]


Do students need any prerequisite courses before being accepted to this program?


[ Page Top ]


Can students enroll into the program at any time?

Students can begin the CTCC program during any module of craft training by notifying their NCCER Accredited Training Sponsor.

[ Page Top ]


What is the cost per credit hour?

$60 per credit hour.

[ Page Top ]


What is the cost per module?

The cost per module is based on the number of college credits assigned to the specific module. The number of credit hours varies. Some modules are as little as ¼ hour of credit, some as much as five hours.

[ Page Top ]


Is financial aid available?

Financial assistance is not available through Pima Community College. However, financial assistance for NCCER courses may be available through the student's employer. Employers may offer tuition reimbursement programs for successful completion of college credit training programs. Students should check their employer's guidelines through the human resources department or other designee.

If students wish to take other Pima general education, elective, or program courses, either in Tucson or via distance education, they may be eligible for federal financial aid. Questions about federal financial aid for these kinds of Pima courses can be answered by a Pima Community College advisor at or 520.206.7134.

[ Page Top ]


What is tuition reimbursement and who qualifies?

Tuition reimbursement programs reimburse employees for tuition costs incurred for taking approved courses. Many companies have tuition reimbursement as a part of their total employee benefits package. Eligible employees should speak with a human resources representative from their company to determine if tuition reimbursement is available and if it can be applied toward NCCER courses taken for Pima Community College credit.

[ Page Top ]


Where can students find information about course and degree options for this program?

Through NCCER's Web site at or by calling National Programs at Pima Community College, 520.206.7134.

How long will it take for students to finish this program?

The length of time needed to finish the program will vary depending on the time the students have available for the coursework and the number of required courses they must take.

[ Page Top ]


Where are the classes held?

Classes are held through any NCCER Accredited Training Sponsor at sites throughout the world.

[ Page Top ]


What are the days and times for these classes?

Days and times for NCCER courses are determined by the NCCER Accredited Training Sponsor. Students should contact their employer or their local NCCER Accredited Training Sponsor to obtain this information.

[ Page Top ]


What do centers or instructors do to become qualified for this type of instruction?

All approved NCCER Accredited Training Sponsors have been through a rigorous process in order to be accredited by NCCER. All sponsors must adhere to the NCCER Accreditation Guidelines. All craft instructors are certified upon completion of NCCER's Instructor Certification Training Program, a national program to ensure uniform and consistent delivery of training throughout the country.

[ Page Top ]


What kind of student support services will be provided?

NCCER Accredited Training Sponsors can provide some support services relating to NCCER curricula. In addition, students may communicate with a Pima Community College advisor through the Virtual Advising Center at Assistance can also be reached at 520.206.7134. Even online library services are available for NCCER students.

[ Page Top ]


Is previous work experience in a chosen field taken into consideration?

No, not for the NCCER courses; however, students may wish to have work and training history evaluated for elective or other college credits. A student must be an enrolled student at PCC to take advantage of this opportunity.

[ Page Top ]


Can students get college credit for high school craft training?

High school students participating in NCCER-sponsored training programs are encouraged to take each exam during their training. Students may apply for Pima Community College credits through NCCER. Upon fee payment and transmission of all required data, including the successful completion of all necessary challenge exams, the students will receive college credit.

Note: A high school must be a recognized training unit of an NCCER Accredited Training Sponsor.

[ Page Top ]


How do students receive Pima Community College transcripts and grades?

Students may request an unofficial transcript online at after

  1. transmission of the student's written exam from an NCCER sponsor to PCC, and
  2. PCC receives their application and tuition from NCCER.

To view an unofficial transcript:

  1. Log in to Banner Online Services.
  2. Type your student ID number and PIN.
  3. Click Login. From the Student Services and Financial Aid menu, select Student Services.
  4. Select Student Records to check and print your grades and unofficial transcript.

Once the students have earned Pima Community College credit, they may request an official transcript from the College Registrar's office. An official Pima Community College transcript can only be issued by Pima Community College. Students may request an official transcript through one of several ways:


Online transcript requests are available through Banner Online Services. Requests will be mailed to the address you provide or are available for pickup at the District Admissions Office.

To request a transcript online, please have the following information available:

  • Pima Community College Student ID
  • PIN
  • Valid AMEX, Discover, MasterCard or Visa
In Person

Go to any admissions office and complete a transcript request form. Bring a picture ID, and pay the transcript fee at the time of your request. Rush transcript service is available only from the District Office of Admissions and Records.

By Fax

Fax the following to 520.206.4790:

  • A signed Regular Service Transcript Request Form or a Rush Service Transcript Request Form
  • A photocopy of a picture ID
  • A letter that contains your credit card number, card type, and card expiration date
  • A statement authorizing us to charge the transcript fee to your card
  • And an authorizing signature
By Mail

Send a signed Regular Service Transcript Request Form or a Rush Service Transcript Request Form, along with a check or money order for the transcript fee, to:

Pima Community College
Attn: Transcripts
4905 East Broadway Blvd.
Tucson, AZ 85709-1120

[ Page Top ]


Why would students need Pima Community College's services when they are already working with a local or statewide college credit program?

Students may not need Pima Community College's services. However, if they should desire a degree option not available to them at another college, they may wish to research transfer and completion of a degree at Pima Community College.

A minimum of 15 hours of study must be completed at Pima Community College to be eligible to earn a PCC degree. The credits earned through NCCER training will count towards the 15 hours. The remaining required hours may be completed elsewhere. A transcript review is an essential part of this process.

Students may also find the Craft Training for College Credit program helpful if a move to another area interrupts their progression towards a degree. The CTCC program offers maximum flexibility and portability in completing course requirements. All NCCER modules are set up on a credit-per-module basis, therefore interruption of a semester of study does not occur. Students may also select the NCCER modules that are relevant to their job.

Various distance learning methods are available through PCC for completion of general education requirements. To learn more about distance education options, contact the Virtual Advising Center at

[ Page Top ]


If students have already completed craft training modules which have been entered in the National Registry, how can they get college credit?

Students should contact their NCCER Accredited Training Sponsor and request that the sponsor send their written exams to Pima. If the exams are no longer available, the student should make arrangements to take the exam for each module for which they desire college credit. An NCCER Certified Craft Instructor or Master Trainer must proctor the tests. Students must also complete the CTCC registration and application forms, and submit the forms and payment for $60 times the number of college credits to NCCER. Remember, students must pass the challenge exam at the 70 percent level in order to receive college credit through this program. Hence a review of the instructional modules is recommended before taking the exams.

[ Page Top ]


Can general education courses be completed via the Internet? If so, is there an additional cost beyond the proposed $60 per module/per credit hour cost?

PCC's general education courses are available in a variety of distance education delivery modes, including the Internet. To determine the current cost, check the PCC Web site at, or call advising at 520.206.6408.

[ Page Top ]


Do students need to enroll separately in Pima's distance education courses for general education credits?

There is a separate enrollment process for Pima's distance education courses. For further information check PCC's Web page or call 520.206.6408.

[ Page Top ]


How do I locate an NCCER Accredited Training Sponsor in my area?

You can locate the closest sponsor to your area by visiting the Find a Training or Assessment Center link on the NCCER Web site. You may also contact NCCER customer service at 888.622.3720.